Friday, October 12, 2007

The Value of my Cell and The Cape by Melissa O.

Some people cherish items that can be bought but I prefer the little priceless moments. I also value items with a price but just not as much. People with money value priceless moments but people with out money value money because to them it is really scarce. Then again some rich people can be cheap and only care about there money. Where some poor people only care about being happy and spending time with their family.

***

I check my pocket, and it’s not in there. Now I am starting to panic. Did I leave it in one of the stores? My chocolate cell phone was missing. I have just spent a long day in the mall and it could be any where. I begin to search frantically through all of the shopping bags because I might have accidentally dropped it in there. But it is no where to be found. My friends and I go back into the mall and try to re-trace our steps, but the mall is closing and we have no choice but to leave without it. I leave feeling the worst I had ever felt, with the horrible thought that my cell phone was left at the mall.

Without my cell phone I would not survive. The only way I am able to keep in touch with my friends is by text messaging them. I am not a fan of talking on the phone just because I don’t like asking for someone and I absolutely hate those awkward silences. From text messaging so much I have become really fast at the strange key pad, where I have to press the button more than once. When I first started it I was very slow and it took me forever to reply to a message. My bill is very low every month because I have unlimited text messaging and I rarely ever talk on the phone.

In my cell phone are pictures of my friends, family, and vacations I have taken since I got the phone. If my phone were to be lost all of those memories would be lost. I have pictures of friends from a while ago of the funny things that they did that would be impossible to reattempt. For instance I have a picture of me and a friend sitting on a rock in the ocean after the tide came in around us. I also have pictures of my family. There are some of my parents and my pets, but there are a lot of pictures of my baby cousin as she was growing up. Those shots were priceless because now that she is older they would not be the same. There are also pictures from my vacations that I have taken to Maine and Cape Cod.

I get home feeling sick with the anticipation of telling my mom. I know that she won’t be happy that I lost my cell phone. When I get in the house I just blurt out what had happened. She just stood there with a blank look on her face. Then she starts to laugh and I was confused at what was happening. But then it hits me. When I had left that morning I had handed my cell phone to my mom and told her to hold onto it so I didn’t loose it. So all along I was worried about my cell phone when it was at home. This made me realize just how valuable my cell phone really was to me.

***

I wake up Sunday morning feeling great that I will be soon spending two weeks in Cape Cod. I travel three hours until I finally arrive in Eastham. I am staying with a friend one week and then with my family the next week. I have been waiting for this week for what seems like forever, but it is finally here. Now I am ready for two fun filled weeks of the beach and shopping till I drop.

The first day was spent lying by the pool and just relaxing from that long drive. The next few days were spent lying on the beach until I was so hot I could not stand it. The great thing about the beach is that when you get too hot you can just jump into the cool water. After the beach we spent most of our time in the neat little shops that were located all over the place.

The beach is my favorite summer place. Shopping is my favorite past time. Both of those together, were like a dream come true. I wouldn’t trade those two weeks for anything in the world. We evenly spread out the two activities to make it two weeks of my two favorite things to do.

***

Nothing could replace my two favorite things. They are my cell phone and my vacation to Cape Cod. Everything about them is so special and important to me. These also hold some of my greatest memories. I suppose I value things that make me feel good and that make life easier. Which they both equally do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
First of all, I can tell that you really love your cell phone. You made it clear, and understandable how much you really do love it, and the description was great. I could picture how much panick you were in when you thought you lost your phone. Also, if you added a little more detail about Maine, I believe this essay would have been a little better, but overall, I think you did a wonderful job.

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
I loved you essay. You did a great job talking about your cell phone and also, the trip to Cape Cod. I can relate to it because the vacation was with me :)
The only critique is that there are minimal spelling and grammar errors. I also think that you should have talked about Maine a little bit more. Other than that, your essay is great!

Anonymous said...

Hey Melissa,
I really loved your essay. I can tell that you really value your cell phone, and taking your vacations to Cape Cod. You did a really good job describing you cellphone, but i would have liked to see a little more description on your vacations to cape cod.
You did really good overall!