Thursday, January 31, 2008

Everything Happens for a Reason by Taylor H.

There’s always going to be something that you regret in life, but it’s how you react to it that makes you the person that you are. Faith was growing up, just a small town girl, living with the loss of her parents. She grew up with her grandmother; however, she has a huge regret in her life, a mistake that has changed her life forever.

Faith not only has to live with the loss of her parents, but she also has to learn to become a parent of her own. Luckily, she has her grandmother there by her side, and she’s not going to make her raise the baby alone, but it’s still going to be hard for her to be a single sixteen year old mother. She’s gone through a lot with her Grandmother in the past year, and Faith has been there every step of the way. Faith has always been the strong one, but now it’s time for her Granny to be there for her.

Faiths went to a party one night with her friends, and let’s just say by the morning, she couldn’t remember how she got home, or where she was. She got a call from a boy that she supposedly met the night before, and he asked her unusual questions. Therefore, she took a pregnancy test, and it came out positive. She couldn’t believe how irresponsible she had been that night, and how stupid she could have been to have done that. Not only does she have to learn how to be a mother, but she doesn’t even know the father.

Dear Diary, July 9th, 2006

I don’t know what I have done with my life recently. I’ve thrown away all my hopes and dreams to make sure that this baby will grow up in a normal life style. I don’t know what I would do without Granny here with me right now. It’s been months since the party, and I still can’t believe that I’m going to be raising my own baby girl. I’m praying that I will be a good mother, because I don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t give my baby all that she deserves. I know what it’s like to have to live without my father, and I know that it’s going to be hard for her to understand, but there’s nothing I can do about it. I’ve gone so many restless nights without sleep, and I just want everything to be okay. I hope someday I’ll know how to get myself out of this hole that I’ve buried myself in.

Days have gone by, which have turned into weeks, and Faith is doing okay. Granny spends everyday talking to Faith and telling her just to believe that everything is going to be okay. She hasn’t thrown away her dreams; she can still accomplish all that she desires to do. Right now she is attending Sherwood High School, and she will finish

off the rest of her high school career as a single teenage Mom. However, Granny is going to help her take care of the baby, so she will have time to get her studies done, and still be the average student she was.

Months have slowly dragged on, and Faith has a beautiful baby girl named Emily. Granny has had Emily wrapped around her finger since the day she was born.

***

Faith wrote a letter to Emily for when she’s older so she can understand what happened in her life better.

Dear Emily, May 12, 2007

I know your life is complicated, and I know it might for you to understand everything that happens, but everything happens for a reason. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me, and not a day goes by that I’m not thankful that I have you in my life. You have a father somewhere, but he isn’t part of my life, or yours. Someday, we can find out who he is if you want to, I know he’d be so proud of the girl you’ve grown up to be. Being such a young mother, you have taught me so much. I love you with every beat of my heart, and I’m so glad that I have you in my life.

Love, Mom

***

In the end, it all comes back to Granny. If Granny wasn’t here, neither would Faith, or Emily. Granny kept Faith believing that everything was going to be okay, until eventually Faith started to believe it, and it was. Everything always happens for a reason, and this time, it ended up being the best thing that has ever happened to Faith.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

To: Tayler H.
When I was finished reading the short story I was happy. The story ended with a happy ending. I remember the beginning the best. It had a lot of imagery and you could tell how Faith felt every step of the way.
Yes, I think the main character changes over the course of the story. In the beginning she was on the fence about having the baby but then when it happened she was really happy. If the character didn’t change than I don’t think he story would have been that good.
My favorite part of the story was the ending. “Everything always happens for a reason, and this time, it ended up being the best thing that has ever happened to Faith.” This stood out for me because I think it really summed up what you were trying to say through the whole story.
I think the best part of the story was the sense you got when reading. You got the feeing you were actually there, witnessing everything going on personally.
On piece of advice I would give you is to not end the story part so quickly. Add a little bit to it.

Anonymous said...

Taylor,
First off, I loved your story. I thought it was very realistic and I enjoyed reading it. It makes you realize how your life can change in a matter of one night and how you can’t let regrets hold you back. I like how the story had a positive ending because it started off very sad. From the way that I read it, I believe the story is trying to tell the reader to move on and turn mistakes into things that can be good. The character made the best of her bad situation. I think it’s also saying that if you are there for someone, they will be there for you. Granny and the main character displayed that very well. I think the character changed from the beginning to the end because she matured. Instead of being a partying teenager; she matured into a responsible, caring, parent. I liked that because it made the story end on a good note. My favorite part of the story was the diary entry. Since the story didn’t include dialogue, the diary entry let you know how the reader was really feeling on the inside. Although the diary entry flowed well into your story; I think it could maybe have been replaced with dialogue between, granny and the girl, the girl and the baby’s father, the girl and her daughter, etc. That really could have added to the story. Overall, I thought you did a really good job on this piece and I liked it a lot.

Anonymous said...

Tayler,
i really enjoyed reading your story. your story made me think of all the young single mothers out there in the world. Faith changes a little throughtout the story i think. she goes from regreting what had happened to loving the regretful moment. she realizes that if that hadnt happened, she wouldn't have her baby girl.
My favortie part of the story is when Faith writes that letter to Emily for when she gets older. i thought the letter was so realistic. i also liked how it stated that everything happens for a reason. to me, i think that's true. the best quality about your story would have to be the conflict. I think the conflict just shows many young girls that sometimes your not really who you think you are. By this i mean Faith couldnt believe that she had gotten pregnant and says she c ouldnt believe how irresponisble and stupid she was that night. but this goes to show you that sometimes your a different person than you think you are. a piece of advice i would give you is maybe add a little bit of more detail to some parts. but other than that it was excellent!

Anonymous said...

Tayler, great story! I thought it was realistic and i'm sure that many teens out there could relate to this story. I felt very sad for Faith when i was reading this story. The main character started off regretting everything and realizing that she messed up big time. Then at the end she realizes this is one of the best things that could have happened to her. If she didn't i think the story would not have been as touching to the reader. My favorite part of the story was the ending when she realizes Emily is the best thing in her life. One piece of advice is maybe not have the resolution come to quickly and add a little more detail on the events that happens in between. But overall great job!

Anonymous said...

Dear Tayler,
Your story was wicked good! It was really sad, but it ended happy and it showed that you have to look for the good things in life. This story reminded me a little of the book, Someone Like You, but it was different. The main character was mad at herself for being irresponsible, but granny was there to pick up the pieces. She realized that if she didn’t make that mistake her daughter wouldn’t be there and she couldn’t have done it with out granny.
My favorite part of the story was the ending or resolution where Faith realizes she can still accomplish her dreams with the help of granny. I think the best quality of the story was the description. It described everything so you thought you were actually experiencing it. I don’t think you need to improve anything. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Tayler!!
After reading your story it made me very happy, it was such a happy ending. The beginning had the most description and imagery for me to remember. I could see and feel exactly how Faith felt every step of the way.
Yes, I think Faith has changed over the course of the story. In the beginning she was really afraid to have the baby and be alone, but by the end she was so excited to have another person there by her side. To be fully honest, the story would have changed completely in the other direction if she as a person didn’t change.
My favorite part of the story was the beginning. “There’s always going to be something that you regret in life, but it’s how you react to it that makes you the person that you are.” I liked that because it was a very good lesson to learn.
It was a great story that needs just minor adjustments. You should of put more detail near the end and not have it end so soon. Overall it was a fantastic story baby!!

Anonymous said...

Tayler,
I thought that your story was really great. It reminded me of Someone Like You, by Sarah Dessen, except in your story, the main character has no family to help her raise the baby except for Granny. In the book, the main character has a lot of people to help her out. I think that the main character did change over the story because in the beginning she wasn’t sure if she wanted a baby, but at the end, she was really happy about having the baby.
My favorite part of the story was the theme. “Everything happens for a reason,” because it’s something that is very true and realistic. I think that that theme is a great thing to live your life by. Overall, I think that your story’s strongest point was definitely the letter at the end because it gave the reader a sense of how the character was feeling emotionally, since there wasn’t any dialogue. One thing to maybe remember for next time is to maybe try to add a little bit more details, and try to lengthen the ending a little bit. But overall, your story was fantastic and I loved it!

Anonymous said...

Tayler,
I was so happy that the story ended ok. I was glad that through Faith's biggest mistake, she got the thing that ment the most to her in the entire world. I think that your strongest part in the story was making it seem so real. The story seemed very realistic. My favorite parts in the story was the diary entry and the letter to emily. it gave the reader an idea of what the main character (faith) thought about her situation. My onoly advice ofr you it to maybe add a little bit more deatail and to have a little more excitment in the story. Otherwise i thought that your story was really good!

Anonymous said...

Tayler,
I really enjoyed reading your story. I thought it had a very happy ending. It made me think of how hard life must be for all the young mothers out there. Your character did change from the beginning to the end of the story.
My favorite part about your story is the beginning. I love how you opened the introduction with "Everything always happens for a reason.." because I think that was the overall theme of your story. So far I think you have one of the greatest stories and you should keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

I really liked your story Tayler. At first, I thought that it couldn't end happily but after reading your story I was proven wrong. This story reminds me of the movie Juno because in the movie, a highschool girl experiences an unexpected pregnancy. I believe that your main character doesn't change over the course of the story. In the beginning, we was worried and scared about having a baby but as the story prgoressed, she learned how to have the confidence and strength she'd need to have a child. My favorite part of the story is when the main character writes her daughter the letter. I thought it was a great add on to your story and a good ending too. There were many great things about your story but I think that your story's best quality was the letters you added in between time periods. This really helped understand the story better and what was taking place at that part. I don't think you need to change anything about your story but I would suggest that you could add a little more to each time period as the reader experiences it in your reading. I really liked your story Tayler.